Saturday, June 21, 2008

In Route to Primal Quest: Day 2

June 19, 2008

We got up early today and hit the road with the goal of putting in as many miles toward Montana as possible. So the day was spent on the road, but we made time for an evening hike as a reward for a lot of hard driving. We bagged Horsetooth Mountain, a 7,255 feet peak in Fort Collins, Colorado. It was a pretty easy trail with a bit of scrambling required to get on the summit. I struggled to keep up with the MOAT trio of Dave Boyd, Shaun Bain and Nathan Winkelmann. They had their Primal Quest gear on their backs, including snow shoes. I carried all of my photo equipment up the mountain to get a feel for carrying it during the race. I was lugging a Canon 5D with a 16-35mm lens, my 30D with a 70-200mm on it and a 300mm f2.8 in my pack. I quickly fell behind, but instead of watching MOAT ascend the mountain without me, they took my gear and we continued up together – still at a fast pace. Without the heavy photo gear I was able to keep pace and get a few pics too because I kept the 5d in my hand. I took my pack and gear back for a run down the mountain. I kept up briefly, but they pulled ahead in no time. I stopped only briefly to take a couple pictures, but I made the run, although slower than MOAT. We hit the road immediately and found a nice spot around ~10, 000 feet to spend the night.

Dave Boyd's tears cure cancer, too bad he never cries.

Nathan Winkelmann empties a sock at the sumit of Horsetooth Mountain

Check out info on Team MOAT on a new social networking site called PEAK.com. You can find Team MOAT's profile at www.peak.com/teammoat


Don't forget to follow them on Primal Quest's website: http://www.ecoprimalquest.com/ They will be carrying a satellite tracking device that will transmit real-time location data to the PQ website. You should be able to follow them on a Google map.

No comments: